Re: [Paparazzi-devel] NMEA GPS Parser

From: Matthew Currie
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] NMEA GPS Parser
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:26:05 -0700

I came across this article recently and had an enjoyable read.  This is
basically a "piss on NMEA 0183" article.  Take it for what it is, he is
the type who has said officially "get a real operating system" when
asked for guidance to compile some of his libraries against other
operating systems (than linux).

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=801

It does bring up the inconsistent implementations of NMEA0183 between
different vendors.

The basic arguments are inconsistent timestamps, incomplete data in each
sentence which requires the amalgamation of numerous different NMEA
strings to get a "full picture" to name a few.

Each vendor seems to have their own proprietary and/or binary protocols
but there are a few popular (and trusted) ones out there like u-blox,
sirf, etc.  Often it is based on the chipset itself.  A lot of consumer
GPS products can be reconfigured to output sirf binary for example.

Regards,
Matthew Currie