Thank you. Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Google Maps are not downloading

From: David Conger
Subject: Thank you. Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Google Maps are not downloading
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:35:18 -0700

Pascal,

Thank you! It works

I just used GCS and the tiles load as if nothing changed.

I went to the paparazzi3 directory, svn update, then make clean; make.

-David Conger

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:56 PM, Pascal Brisset wrote:

Hi,

it seems that the Google naming policy for tiles has changed. I did not find any documentation about it. Looking at the requests from the standard Google Maps application, it is possible to forge the new names. Previously, the tiles were named according to quadtree coding using q (north-west), r (north-east), s (south-east) and t (south-west) to name a recursive split of the earth. Now the tiles are simply accessible giving a zoom level (z) and two coordinates, x (east) and y (south) from 0
to 2^z-1 .

I've just commited a patch (sw/lib/ocaml/gm.ml).
Since our caches (var/maps/) are full of maps named with the previous policy, I kept this naming. So, just a small translator for the URL has been added:

let google_maps_url = fun s ->
sprintf "http://khm.google.com/kh?n=404&v=3&t=%s"; s

has been modified into

let google_maps_url = fun s ->
let (x, y, z) = xyz_of_qsrt s in
sprintf "http://khm0.google.com/kh/v=45&x=%d&s=&y=%d&z=%d"; x y z

where xyz_of_qsrt translates "trtqtqsqqqqsrqrqrt" into (67690, 43073, 17)

so "svn update sw/lib/ocaml/gm.ml; make" should solve your problems

--Pascal

PS: Yes, we will use openstreetmap. Soon :-)

Matthew Currie wrote:
Yes, 404 is not a good sign. The google server is actively and politely responding and saying the tile you requested is not available. We can
hope this is a temporary server change.

I was going to do my first flight this weekend and I don't have the
tiles for my new flying site yet =/

Matthew Currie

Austin Jensen wrote:

Anyone else having troubles downloading new tiles from Google. I get
this error

--2009-09-25 11:40:53-- http://khm.google.com/kh?n=404&v=3&t=tqtrstttqss
<http://khm.google.com/kh?n=404&v=3&t=tqtrstttqss>
Resolving khm.google.com... 74.125.155.190, 74.125.155.136,
74.125.155.93, ...
Connecting to khm.google.com
<http://khm.google.com>|74.125.155.190|:80... connected.
2009-09-25 11:40:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.

This is different than the error you get when the server bans you right? I've tried different computers from different locations and had the same
problem.

Thanks,
Austin

Austin Jensen, Research Engineer
Utah Water Research Laboratory (UWRL)
Utah State University, 8200 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT, 84322-8200, USA
E: address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden >
T: (435)797-3315