Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tracking antenna

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tracking antenna
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:40:37 +1100

I am also interested in an antena tracking solution, however ruled out the immersionrc products because while I always try to have the paparazzi telemetry stream, I don't always want video etc.

I haven't tried the existing paparazzi code, however this tutorials made rolling your own with python and an ardruno seem straitforward (10% the cost than the immersionrc product too, if you already have the computer to drive it):
 * http://principialabs.com/arduino-python-4-axis-servo-control/
 * http://www.littlebirdelectronics.com/products/arduino-usb-board

I'm curious about antenas that 'hold a lock' on the source of a signal, only using telemetry as a (strong) hint to find the transmitter.
 * http://www.ltu.se/polopoly_fs/1.26630!uav%20papernewformat-1.pdf

The idea of doing this with phase beams is very interesting, because an array of dipoles could be embedded in an airframe without the drag/weight penalty of physical directional antena (imagine 24dbi at both ends!). Has anyone tried this? Someone told me that commercial grade wifi routers exist with antenna arrays that get good range from self-managed phase beams locking.

Chris Gough