Reply to: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.(Bernar

From: Chris
Subject: Reply to: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing.(Bernard Davison)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:19:13 +0200

>But they can be easily integrated with I2C units which are available.
>These could give a general reference which then hands over to
>another system that is more accurate such as the ultrasonic or laser units.

That is exactly what i have done.
I use a baro (scp1000) that gets calibrated every minute from
many averaged and matched gps readings when the plane flies level only of course. The barometer is the main altitude instrument but as i said it gets calibrated often from the gps. This way the barometer not only provides "accurate" altitude but also very accurate ascent and descent rates. I have also increased the vertical and horizontal control loops frequency from 4Hz to 10Hz since the barometer's refresh rate
permits this and in simulation the results are fantastic so far.
If the ultrasonic range finder detects with certainty that we are below 5m or whatever altitude gives good readings and if the ultrasonic range finder is also enabled from the flight plan, it takes over for the landing.
I have implemented strong filtering with prediction methods so
the ultrasonic range finder does not get tricked from noise.
Btw the altitude from the sonar id fed to the kalman filter for now.
Of course only testing will show if i have done more than a hole in the water...
The ultrasonic range finder is here so i will test it next week.
Chris