Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Problem with serial conector (cont)

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Problem with serial conector (cont)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:50:41 +0000

What Marc is saying is correct - my comment about updating the FTDI
driver was directed to Chris a while ago who was using Ubuntu 9.04
(Karmic).  You can find out which version you are using by clicking
System -> About Ubuntu.  GPSD is the gps daemon.  It's an excellent
piece of software that can talk to basically any GPS.  For reasons best
know to themselves, in Ubuntu Karmic GPSD is included by default and is
set to automatically connect to any gps you plug in.  Unfortunately,
most GPS's just connect on a usb serial port, so gpsd (or the scripts
Ubuntu are shipping) sometimes "grabs" the FTDI device (/dev/ttyUSB0)
when you plug it in, which will give "device busy" errors.  Again, this
is not a problem unless you are using 9.04 (Karmic).

Merry Christmas all