Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Installing Paparazzi

From: Gareth R
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Installing Paparazzi
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:44:06 +0000

Ah, I think there's been some confusion Dan..I wasn't aware that you wanted it on an external hard drive. That is the method I recommend to people who are uncomfortable with repartitioning hard drives but want to use paparazzi on a single computer.

You are correct in saying you cannot run Windows on a usb drive (not without serious hacking), but I'm not sure that is relevant. Installing to usb is simple:

- I'd recommend getting the latest ubuntu, 9.10. Since my last email, the issues described have been fixed by updates.

- Make sure you have full backups, just in case.

- Boot ubuntu cd with external drive plugged in.

- In the drive partition selection, MAKE SURE you choose the external hard drive and allow it to automatically partition the EXTERNAL DRIVE.

- The installation will proceed and install the bootloader to the usb disk.

- Make sure your bios is set to boot off usb storage first.

- Reboot into ubuntu, install updates, and enjoy.

Hope that sorts it, and if you are paranoid about formatting your internal hd, you can always disconnect it for the installation process.

--G