Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Suggestions: Auto-tuning of gains and upload via

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Suggestions: Auto-tuning of gains and upload via modems
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:42:57 +0200

Uploading used to be over the serial link in the past (2005). Do not underestimate the time this took to upload new code.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Eric Parsonage <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Florin, Maik,

I am sure that ZN would definitely work, but its just how well it works! I am pretty sure ZN is the only option if you cant derive the Transfer Function of the system analytically, so for most people who use paparazzi and haven't learnt that much about classical or modern control, or for airframes that may have weird Dynamics (like a flying wing), it is definitely the way to go. ZN based tuning also results in a controller that is very good at rejecting disturbance, which for level flight is great, I just worry about the step response of that sort of controller in regards to setpoint changes, like rolling into or out of a heavy bank, I fear that it may be very oscillatory. It does of course depend on your aircraft, and whether or not you are constantly changing its attitude.

However, Maik does make a very interesting point. the community could probably develop a little script, or even a simple spreadsheet, that assumed you had a straight winged monoplane platform, and took inputs about its geometry, moments of inertia etc. then approximated the  transfer function of the system based on that, with that it could then analytically calculate, using at least a couple of PID tuning methods, the appropriate gains for your system which you could then program in. This could be done without you even having to leave the ground! of course, you would need to do a little bit of manual tuning once you got up in the air, but at least you could have some trust in your controller to begin with. Of course, someone would need to derive the state-space model for a generic aircraft in terms of variable regarding its dimensions. Any of you control gurus wish to comment on this suggestion (I know you are reading)?

Eric