Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Stability against wind

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Stability against wind
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:09:29 +0200

Whenever the wind speed is more than half the nominal flight speed it becomes very interesting to add the -DSTRONG_WIND in the Makefile section to prevent the plane to turn back. But it also reduces the nav gain depending on ground speed and switches to heading navigation (based on estimated wind: so check your windflag is correct in the gcs) instead of ground track navigation when the ground speed becomes negative. (without this define the plane will turn 180 degrees)

This does not necessarily solve all navigation oscillations completely, but certainly helps since the gain is reduced dynamically, leaving sufficient gain when needed, and reducing the oscillations. The problem is that with very low forward ground speed, a small heading error of the plane can make the plane move almost laterally, and hereby causes a huge ground track error (90 degrees), which is corrected by a way too big commanded turn... etc...

Christophe