Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Electrical connections with the Tiny and PPM

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Re: Electrical connections with the Tiny and PPM Encoder Board
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:58:15 +1000

Hi Ana,

> When you use the PPM encoder board, do you still connect your
> servos to the autopilot?

yes, that's how I do it.

rx ==(PWM)==> encoder --(PPM)--> autopilot ==(PWM)==> servos/ESC

> Because if the servos are connected to the
> autopilot, there is no way of independent powering, is it?

I don't know, it's an interesting question. I've never done it but am
convinced it's a good idea.

I did wonder about using "optical isolators" in the past, but haven't
needed to. e.g:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9118

In the absence of voltage/noise issues, there is probably a better
way. Would it be dangerous make a wiring loom that commingles a 5v BEC
to common (-) with SRVx_GND, use BEC (+) instead of SRVx_+5v (and keep
the SRV_x, obviously)?

That would be similar to cutting (+) on my ESC (with BEC) and
inserting a BEC on an unused channel. I think that's a normal practice
in standard RC land, I probably do it more often than I use the ESC's
built in BEC (because most of the BECs built into in my ESCs are
crumby ones that can't supply a useful current when used with a 4S
LiPo).

Chris Gough