[Paparazzi-devel] Heading Hold Gyro for Runway Takeoff?

From: Nicholas Wagner
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Heading Hold Gyro for Runway Takeoff?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:41:43 -0600

I was wondering if anyone had tried installing a heading hold yaw gyro to attempt runway take-off (and possibly landing) of tail draggers?  Recently we have put together a runway landing flight plan on a senior telemaster and it does great (we have a big runway) until it reaches the ground and then it veers off the runway.  Similar problems occur in the take-off roll.

I was wondering if we put set-servo commands to control the gyro gain for the rudder servo during the take off roll and then once it reaches a certain altitude use the set servo command again to turn off the gyro.  Then on landing, once the aircraft is on the correct heading turn the gyro back on and land and the gyro would handle steering the plane to keep it on the runway.

Am I being too optimistic about the abilities of the gyro or could this be possible?

--
Nick Wagner
Mechanical Engineering