Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Possible board for paparazzi?

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Possible board for paparazzi?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:47:36 +0100

Marc Schwarzbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a few days ago I had a board on my table (included in a quadcopter) which
> seems to be a possible platform for paparazzi. So I just wanted to ask for
> your opinion.
>
> (Short specs:Vortex86DX, 1GHz, 256Mb RAM, 6 serial ports, 16 sevo outputs,
> analogue, i2c..., 40g, 5V 400mA) Runs Linux, Windows...
> Price: about 230€
>
> Here´s the Link:
> http://www.roboard.com/RB-110.htm
>
> Since there have been attemps to run Paparazzi airborne code on a Linux
> machine it is probbly not a huge problem to port it?

Well, all the IO parts (servo, RC, sensors) have not been tackled yet.
But I guess it would be greatly appreciated if you would do those.
That board does indeed look like a very fine platform.

> Pobably a realtime linux as a basis would b needed?

Good question. Tt would probably not hurt to do that. Not sure if it would
be required though. Has anybody already thought about that?

> Regarding the power of the board I see things like wind calculation on
> board, EKF-filtering of IMU, having SRTM-files and SD-logging on board and
> much capacity for other applications.
> And the price is not much higher then a Tiny board...

Indeed. Should have enough power.
Not sure though if it is more attractive then a gumstix or beagleboard
together with one of the popular breakout boards. Especially from a
community point of view. (see my recent post on the list. I had some
totally unfounded ideas about that recently. )
They are cheap as well.

> Hope I´m not totally wrong...

Well, theoretically not. Could still be lots of work though. :)

The feedback that I got was mainly, why change it. Paparazzi runs fine on
a standalone small embedded board. It does not have vast computing power,
but it works. You could always put a Linux on top for telemetry, and
'intelligence'.

Lisa seems to be a hybrid development that mixes both worlds. It can run
paprarazzi self contained, but it can also run as a mere IO processor and
run most of the airborne bode in Linux. It is more expensive then your
board though. :)

Regards
 Tilman Baumann