[Paparazzi-devel] Lisa debugging

From: Marko Thaler
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa debugging
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:40:25 +0200

Hello everybody,

I am testing the new Lisa on a quadrotor and have a few questions:
- I use Lisa with MKK ESCs. Has anybody encountered a freeze of ESCs while in flight? The red LEDs on all the MKK ESCs turn on and all the motors shut down. This happens while Lisa is running normally. I have tested all the I2C cabling but haven't observed anything unusual. Sometimes red LEDs turn on at power up, but after a reset everything is normal and functioning properly.
- I am new to gdb (been previously using CrossWorks from Rowley). Is there a quick and dirty procedure write up on how to connect to Lisa? I had a couple of tries to attach gdb (gdbserver) to a running Lisa but with no luck.
- When I do not have the MKK ESCs connected to the I2C port and the autopilot code is running, I can freeze the code with holding the throttle stick in the motor on/off position (down and right) for a couple of seconds (anything from 3 to 20 seconds). This condition is not always reproducible so sometimes it needs a couple of retries (go to center position and than back to down and right). I could practically always reproduce the freeze in the first three tries when ap_mode is in ATTITUDE_Z_HOLD. When in ATTITUDE_RC_CLIMB and ATTITUDE_DIRECT the freeze is rarely reproducible. The freeze never happened when ESCs were connected to Lisa.

I know you should not abuse Lisa in this way, I am just writing up my observations if anybody encounters something similar.

I will examine all the unusual behaviour in the code myself as soon as I get more comfortable with gdb (any help is deeply appreciated :).

Thanks for your input and kind regards,

Marko