Re: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UAVs in wind parks

From: Martin Mueller
Subject: Re: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UAVs in wind parks
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:12:14 +0200 (MEST)

Hallo Reto,

flying close to a rotating wind turbine at notable wind speeds made us use a
fairly "conservative" setup to give as much reliability as possible. It is a
Tiny 2.11 running with thermopiles only, just as for the Arctic campaigns. The
"autopilot issues" that are mentioned in the film and that made Christian
switch to manual mode were in fact flight plan issues (maybe that made the
report a little more "thrilling"). The plane has to stay away not only from the
turbine that is measured but also the surrounding ones. We are experimenting
with IMUs to give better attitude information for the flow measurements but
might stay with the thermopiles for flight control for a while. The vortexes
generated at the wind turbines wing tips can create high roll rates that the
infrared sensors can cope with easily.

Martin