Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Launching PPRZ under Ubuntu 10.10

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Launching PPRZ under Ubuntu 10.10
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:48:59 -0000

Hi Eric + Felix,

I spent most of last night trying to build for OS-X as well (inspired by your paparazzi.osx makefile in the github root), using Homebrew - I've got brew formula's for xml-light and ocaml-findlib - just need ocaml-pcre and ocaml-netstring (homebrew includes ocaml and lablgtk) and it'll be a simple way for anyone to use GCS on OS-X. If you'd like any help or a tester with it, let me know - I've built paparazzi for several different architectures and distributions now. I didn't realise ivy-ocaml was included in paparazzi! I always went and got it from the enac site, then altered the makefile :D D'oh! Is a working version of xml-light (as in, with a correct META file and a non-stupid makefile) included in source as well?

Not sure if this is sacrilege but on my machine, ivy-ocaml builds in a second or so but causes a headache for compiling on non-debian platforms. I was thinking last night about whether it would be possible to 'vendor' (to nick a rails phrase) more of the weirder dependencies into the source. Specifically xml-light, ivy, and ivy-ocaml. Most (if not all of us) only have those on our machines to support paparazzi anyway. That way, paparazzi wouldn't need to host the ivy packages and it would be much simpler to build on non-debian platforms (just grab ocaml + lablgtk, and the usual suspects, which all modern distros have anyway). It would only add a few kilobytes to the source. The main cost would be a slightly prolonged build time, but perhaps that isn't really an issue for most people?

Cheers!
--G