Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Reply to:"Re: ArduIMU and Tiny autopilot continued

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Reply to:"Re: ArduIMU and Tiny autopilot continued (David Conger)"
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:25:44 +0100

Does anyone know how fast the gyro integration is done in the arduIMU (Atmel). (DCM propagation)

15Hz attitude data is sufficient for stable flight (slow of fast) but the lower bandwidth sensor also means you need to reduce the gain compared to 60Hz attitude, especially when flying fast (extra phase gives smaller gain margin).

But 15Hz integration is very very low on anything as small and agile as a Funjet. If the weather is smooth enough I do believe this will work, but it's also extremely easy to make is not work anymore by adding vibrations, turbulence, etc...

Even with a very efficient fixed-point implementation, a 20MHz 8-bit micro is "a bit" weak...

-Christophe