Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi reinstall - Git install issue.

From: Helge Walle
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi reinstall - Git install issue.
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 23:27:01 +0100

Thanks a lot gvb, that was it.

Helge.

2011/1/2 Jerry Van Baren <address@hidden>
On 01/02/2011 03:33 PM, Helge Walle wrote:
Hi,

After a nice Auto2 flying session today I finally decided to renew the
Paparazzi installation on my field laptop.

[snip]

sudo apt-get install git

Oops, you used the wrong package name.  Try:
sudo apt-get install git-core

These message were returned:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package git is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is
only available from another source
E: Package git has no installation candidate

I don't get the meaning of these lines. Can anyone help?

The package "git" existed before the DVCS system "git" existed so Debian/Ubuntu named the git package "git-core".  The "git" package has since been deprecated IIRC, so there are references in the apt database but no actual package.

Thanks,
Helge.

Good luck,
gvb