Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ArduIMU

From: steve.joyce
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ArduIMU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 07:48:07 +0100

We should maybe wait just a bit Felix.  Chris encountered a problem that should probably be resolved before it is really safe to fly with it.  I can issue a pull request when it is ready.

The way the module is set up is a periodic function initiates a request to read the IMU over I2c, then an event function is fired when the status is changed to I2CTransSuccess.  The event function then converts the data and sets the status to I2CTransDone.  (This is the same way it is set up in the Infrared_I2c module err.. subsystem)

The problem is in the case where the transaction fails (I2CTransFailed), then the event function is never run, the status doesn't get updated and the periodic function never requests any more data because it checks for I2CTransDone.  I haven't seen this behaviour first hand, but apparently Chris was able to induce it by moving the sticks quickly, apparently related to having 9 transmitter channels defiend.

The question for anyone more familiar with the I2C implementation in paparazzi is what to do when the transaction fails?  Is it safe to just ignore it and send the next one?  Or do you have to reset the I2C bus?  (There is a hint in i2c_arch.c  in I2CFail(): //FIXME I2C should be reseted here)

/Steve