Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Motor problems

From: Stephen Dwyer
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Motor problems
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 21:45:12 -0600

Hello Nathan,

Just to clarify, how do you have the servo cable on the ESC wired to the TWOG?

It sounds like you have the +/- of the battery wired to the
appropriate +/- battery terminal on the ESC as well as the +/- power
input terminals on the TWOG. Then, my guess is you have the servo
cable from the ESC plugged into one of the 3 pin molex servo
connectors on the TWOG. The red wire coming from the ESC will be
supplying 5V to the TWOG if it is connected. This is not good. You
need ONLY the SIGNAL line from the ESC connected to the TWOG (if the
ground is also connected, you will have a ground loop, which is bad).
Note also that if you are powering from a different battery, both the
SIGNAL and the GND lines should be connected between ESC and TWOG, but
never the 5V line. See the wiring diagram on the TWOG page of the
wiki:

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Twog_v1#Electrical_Connections_to_the_Airborne_Equipment

Note that only "PWM Signal (Thr)" is going from the TWOG to the ESC,
not GND or 5V.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer