Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Control loops in simulink

From: Hector Garcia de Marina
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Control loops in simulink
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:53:39 +0200

Hello Niki,

as far as I know, XPlane does not work with coefficients. What do you mean? In the past I used
the coefficients for tuning the control (at trimmed state) and test the control in XPlane. I realized that XPlane is not intended (at least not the FAA certified version) for real time simulation (software in the loop, hardware in the loop, etc) as it has problems with time-step and other "telemetry" issues (there are many artifacts that ruins your propagation in the equations). So I had to build my own 6DoF simulator to fit with my firmware, matlab, etc.

Of course you can use the "navigation values" (like attitude) from XPlane (like many people do for control proposes), but if you use "raw data" like gyros, accelerations, etc, you will face many problems.

Xflr5 ( http://xflr5.sourceforge.net/xflr5.htm ) is very friendly, and it aims to have more accuracy than AVL / Tornado for low Re number (small/mid UAVs), but at the moment is still in development changing every other day.

About ardupilot, I found it lack of power (compared with STM32 Cortex M3) for complex GNC algorithms, and I want to apply vision algorithms in a near future (Overo can handle it) without changing the HW.

Cheers.
Héctor.