Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Anyone using gas engines with Paparazzi? (Reto B?t

From: Ensslin Oliver (enso)
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Anyone using gas engines with Paparazzi? (Reto B?ttner)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:00:23 +0000

Hi Stephen

I know it’s late to answer that question but better late than never:

I use a Kyosho Calmato Sports 60 with an OS FX-91 or a OS FP-61 glow engine. My Paparazzi system consists of Tiny 2.11, PPM-Board, Yeti Receiver, and ArduIMU.

Vibration isolation is the key. On the Calmato I use three stages of damping. First the engine is mounted on rubber dampers. Then the whole Paparazzi electronics is mounted in a case that is carried on silicon tubing (yes the one that’s used for the fuel lines). The IMU itself in the case is again mounted on a soft foam. The IMU has additional weight mounted to it to increase its inertia.

It is crucial to have the right ratio between mass, of the Part where the IMU is mounted, and the stiffness of the dampers. So if you experience vibrations on the IMU change mass of the Plane, case, or IMU or change stiffness of the dampers. If you’re lucky you will get a good setting in every RPM.

Tests with a four stroke engine (OS FS-91 S2) were unsuccessful. The frequency and amount of torque submitted to the aircraft was too much. So 2 stroke is easier than 3 stroke.

I have not tested gas engines yet but I am looking forward to flying my Sig Rascal with Saito FG-36 (four stroke gas engine) with paparazzi. I have heard of people flying with the DA-60 (60cc spark ignited 2 stroke engine) with ArduIMU successful although they struggled a lot with vibrations.

Cheers

Oli

Hello All,

> I was curious to know, are many people using gas engines or large glow

> engines in Paparazzi-equipped aircraft? I am just preparing to install

> a TWOG in a Senior Telemaster that runs on a 26cc gas engine and was

> wondering if there are any particular concerns or tricks? Of course,

> good vibration isolation is a must, especially with an IMU (initially

> I will use thermopiles, but hopefully an IMU shortly thereafter).

> Thanks,

> -Stephen

Oliver Ensslin

B. Sc. Maschinentechnik

Email: address@hidden

Tel: ++41_58_9346968, fax: ++41_58_9356968

ZHAW School of Engineering

IMES Institut für Mechanische Systeme

Postfach / Technikumstrasse 9

CH-8401 Winterthur / ZH