[Paparazzi-devel] Proposition for the Core developpers

From: Arnault Ioualalen
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Proposition for the Core developpers
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:25:26 +0200

I contact this mailing list on the advise that CheBuzz gives me on IRC, so that I could propose to the core developpers to test the numerical accuracy of their algorithms.

Let me explain that a little :
First I'm a phd student in Perpignan (France), my work concerns the numerical accuracy of floating-point calculations in embedded software. Mainly, my work is on the behalf of Airbus, and adresses the issue of rounding error propagation.

My point is, given
- a code written in some synchronous langage used in the industry (like LUSTRE),
- and the range of the inputs (of the sensors for example)
I can :
- calculate a safe over-approximation of the numerical error induce by the program - propose automatically an equivalent program, this program is mathematically equivalent but has a better numerical accuracy (I won't enter into detail here because it's quite technical, but we already developped a tool call Sardana wich allow us to do it).

Ok, I hope I haven't lost you !
Remember just that each time you use floating-point arithmetics each value has a rounding error, and these rounding errors accumulate themselves during the whole process. Some very classical examples exist, where the rounding-errors became so big that the calculate value has nothing in common with the expected value.

I saw on your website (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki) your "theory of operation" and the graphical representations of your control loops. From what I could understand it's very much look like my kind of test data, so I'm gessing that (with some help) I could try to optimize, separatly, each control loop you have (or, perhaps, even together in one big piece of code).

My main problem is that I don't really understand what kind of value each variables could take, and your simulink-like representation may not be really complete. Also, I would need some range of the inputs, or even better, a trace of a real execution of the code with the evolution of the values at each iteration.

If some core developpers are interested in my proposal, I can answer them over this email : address@hidden Or, if he lives in France (and more specifically in Toulouse) I can go there personnaly and meet him in person, that's not an issue (if it's not in Toulouse I could still arrange a trip to where he is, it's just little more time-consumming to organize).

To finish, I'll just want to say that your project could constitute an important example for my phd thesis and I'm really interested in working with your team over this topic of numerical accuracy.

Thanks for your answers (I hope there will be some), and sorry for this long email but it's never easy to make such a proposal in a few lines.

Arnault Ioualalen
Phd Student
DALI team - UPVD - LIRMM

ps: sorry for the possible orthographic errors, but it has been already a long day.