[Paparazzi-devel] Choice of Autopilot hardware surprisingly dificult

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Choice of Autopilot hardware surprisingly dificult
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 22:37:00 +0000

It's winter and hobby and tinkering time. And now after some life changes which kept me from going ahead with paparazzi I would like to get my gear up ready for spring.

I always wanted to build a Lisa/L based system. I liked the system design and extensibility. Especially the idea of piggybacking a Linux system in the air and possibly UDP/Wifi telemetry as well...

But I thought I should change my mind about that due to the dubious Lisa supply situation and the fact that Lisa/L is clearly not what I need to start with. The first limitation seems to be the number of UARTs. Seems like I loose two right away for the Spektrum satellites. (Can GPS or Telemery be connected via And I'm not sure if Spektrum limits me to the STM32 platform anyway. The code is in the STM arch area, but I have not really investigated that.

I seem to be coming back to Lisa. Or Lisa/M actually since the form factor is much more beneficial for a fixed wing which I like to build.
Lisa would be my dream platform. But what use is it if I can't buy it.
I would rather buy something now, but really I'm lost. Perhaps I'm too focused on detail. Can someone give me some hints about what I could consider for a IMU and Spektrum-RC based solution based on hardware that I can actually buy?

Sorry, lot's of talking. But the more I clicked through the wiki I got confused and concerned today. And I thought it would be easy to just buy something else then Lisa and get going.

Thanks and sorry for the ramblings
 Tilman