Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Spektrum telemetry, can it be done?

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Spektrum telemetry, can it be done?
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:06:43 +0000

On 06/01/12 15:53, Eric Parsonage wrote:
Hi,

The spektrum telemetry unit is basically a separate transmitter module it
doesn't use the main receiver to transmit.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM9548

It can work without being even connected to a receiver.  But if you connect it
to the right sort of receiver then you can get signal quality information. We
already have access to that within Paparazzi and I expect decoding the format
required to send this to the telemetry module will be trivial ( I am betting it
is in the same form as it comes out of the satellite receivers).

This would be pretty easy to do if you can justify spending money on something
that is already available in the GCS.

I think it's a cool hack because you can get important stuff displayed right on the RC controller display. But you are right, it's (probably) too limited to replace the main telemetry link and similar effects can be achieved with interfacing the ground station PC with the controller and alternative controller firmware.
The later is probably the path of least resistance.

Thinking of. Is XBee telemetry point to multipoint capable? A XBee module would fit nicely in the controller extension slots and a hacked firmware could parse the telemetry messages right there...