Re: [Paparazzi-devel] NMEA GPS Support in Paparazzi Code-base

From: Martin Mueller
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] NMEA GPS Support in Paparazzi Code-base
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 23:03:23 +0100

Hi,

this NMEA discussion seems to pop up every once in a while. You can find them in the archives. The NMEA code that is in the repo is the (unfinished) result of one of these discussions.

NMEA is poorly specified and the resulting implementations are usually even worse. Look into NMEA parsing software packages (gpsd/gypsy) to get an idea of what GPS receiver developers can do wrong.

The more important point is that the GPS receiver type will play a big role in the autopilots performance. Not all of them are prepared to be used in an aircraft. The MT3329 GPS (there is an diydrones-binary protocol parser in Paparazzi) seems to be ok in normal flight but just repeats the old position data if the aircraft goes into tailspins.

Navilock sells complete u-blox receivers (even with a backup battery) for 30 Euros. Start with one of those, there is enough adventure ahead anyway :-)

Martin