Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:04:06 +0100

Standard Paparazzi gear using u-blox gps will measure up to 50km high and 500m/s with 4g accelerations. Beyond these limits you might loose track. The max speed represented in paparazzi in float is unlimited and in fast fixed-point integer mode the fiedpoint FRAC is 19 on 32 bits so speeds up to 8000 m/s are still possible. For gyro's and accelerometers paparazzi uses ADXL345 most of the time with a range of "only" 16G but any analogue accelerometer (like the 250g ADXL193) can be connected without additional programming and any other gyro can be added with code available for a significant number of sensors. Paparazzi has controllers for many types of vehicles including "thrust-vectoring-vehicles" code (rotorcraft, prop-hanging planes but probably also rockets), with euler or even quaternions, but using them differently than in the default firmware will require some programming. I expect that rotorcraft firmware can be used as-is on rockets. For additional own code paparazzi has easy to use extra modules to put all your personal code.

Trouble: logging is still not native on the same microcontroller (but many sollutions exist to log the serial output)
GPS speed and acceleration limits do not guarantee a full log. (but probably when logging accelerometers too it can be reconstructed)
gyroscopes readings will degrade with vibrations and high G-forces and special accelerometers might be needed (depending on your size of rocket)

-Christophe