Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:29:22 +1100

About GPS measuring Ground Speed and ECEF Position at high velocity, I really do not know about how the accuracy is affected, Doppler effect, etc.

It's not physics, it's firmware. Limits are result of treaties.

Http://armscontrol.org/documents/mtcr

See section 11.

But it seems that you need an expensive GPS module.

The firmware/hardware isn't more expensive, only the paperwork. You have to prove you won't pass it on, among other things.

Chris Gough

Héctor.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Chris Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> Does the paparazzi code accomodate velocities as large as Mach 2- Mach 3?

I don't know, sorry (don't see why not though, try it in
simulation...). Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Do I understand you correctly:
 * the rocket will go directly where you aimed it, it's not actively "navigated'
 * the autopilot is not responsible for maintaining vertical attitude
 * your instruments require a constant orientation (roll in the
rocket's frame of reference) during the preiod between boost and apex.
 * your experiments require position and attitude logging during the
same flight phase.

Chris Gough

> Best regards,
> Florin Mingireanu