Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UBX vs NMEA Protocol Inquiry

From: Stephen Dwyer
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UBX vs NMEA Protocol Inquiry
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:25:49 -0700

Hello,

Another nice thing about binary is you are guaranteed messages of a
specific length. With NMEA if all fields are 0 or something like that,
you might get a message of only 20 or 30 bytes in length, but with all
values populated to near maximums, you will get closer to the limit,
up to perhaps 70 or 80 bytes in length. This is much less predictable
than being able to specify the same number of bytes and the same value
in the same offset location in a binary message, and varies the
timing. This in addition to the fact it takes more effort to convert
numbers from text representation to binary representation, which takes
more time than either using the value raw or doing a simple operation
like scaling the value.

And NMEA sucks, as mentioned several times before. :)

Thanks,
-Stephen Dwyer