Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny V2.11 GPS Antenna

From: Martin Mueller
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny V2.11 GPS Antenna
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:22:41 +0100

Hi Bryan,

I am rather new to the Paparazzi system and am thoroughly enjoying it so
far. I currently have the Tiny V2.11 with the integrated GPS but I will
be using a modded airframe that will have a carbon fiber fuselage that
fosters the autopilot and a camera. However, with this I am worried that
I will not get the good GPS signals that I would like in order for
automated takeoffs and landings.

first thing would be to check how much the carbon affects the GPS signal/noise ratio in the gcs inside and outside the fuselage.

Thus, I would like to try to use a different GPS antenna than the one
provided with the Tiny set-up and was wondering if anyone has done this
before or is more familiar with this. The current GPS antenna I have
uses a SMA male connector; so my thought was to un-solder the current
antenna, solder in a coaxial cable in the Tiny to run a SMA adapter to
the GPS antenna (which is a 3 to 5 volt active antenna).

You could solder a SMA connector. But also you have to feed the DC voltage into the RF link. Guess your Tiny is fitted with a LEA-5H. This module does have circuitry inside to separate the RF from the DC supply. You have to apply the antenna voltage to V_ANT through a resistor as described in chapter 2.6.2 of the hardware manual [1] (currently that signal is grounded on the Tiny).

If anyone is more familiar with using a different GPS antenna for the
Tiny V2.11 any help would be appreciated (or if you would recommend
switching to the Lisa or TWOG model).

Not sure that anyone has done that before. You should probably only try that if you are familiar with high frequencies and a little adventurous.

Another solution is to use an external GPS receiver on J7 DOWNLOAD with the TWOG as you described or even with the Tiny. You can disable the on-board GPS receiver by pulling GPS_RESET low. It does not sound like a clean solution...at least u-blox said it does not harm the GPS receiver.

Martin

[1] http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/LEA-5_NEO-5_TIM-5H_HardwareIntegrationManual%28GPS.G5-MS5-09027%29.pdf