[Paparazzi-devel] Spektrum Receiver

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Spektrum Receiver
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 22:46:50 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently playing around a lot with my new Lisa/m board. There is still lots to figure out, but there is one thing that has baffled me quite a while now.
That is the Spektrum RC receiver.
I have a DX5e (Is that one even supported? I only ever read about DX7) plus two orangebox receivers from hobbykind.

If I boot with the bind plug the receivers start blinking nicely. But it seems to make no difference as to if the sender is on or off.

Airframe XML
<define name="RADIO_CONTROL_SPEKTRUM_SECONDARY_PORT" value="UART5"/>
<subsystem name="radio_control" type="spektrum">
<configure name="RADIO_CONTROL_LED" value="3"/>
</subsystem>

RADIO_CONTROL_LED seems ineffective. Probably not provided by the spektrum module?

I added the following mode to conf/telemetry/default_fixedwing_imu.xml inspired by flixr's hint on the irc. (The Fixedwing config did not have those messages, I copied them from the rotocraft version)

<mode name="ppm">
<message name="PPM"                      period="0.5"/>
<message name="RC"                       period="0.5"/>
<message name="COMMANDS"            period="0.5"/>
<message name="FBW_STATUS"          period="1"/>
<message name="ACTUATORS"           period="5"/>
</mode>

I do get one new message that way. RC. But the values is always 0,0,0,0,0,0,.....

So, how can I tell that my radio is working? And is my DX5e even supported?
I mean, it's a pretty primitive radio and the lack of a three way switch for mode is certainly not ideal. But it is what I have here right now and a bigger one is not in the budget for some time.

(Might as well upgrade to os-rc when I have that cash laying around... There was not much talk about that one here yet. And I can't actually find any info on how that could be hooked up to a UAV. But could be a solution that might even transport telemetry in one link...)

PS: Do I have to close the bind plug every time I boot or will it learn? The Satellite receivers only blink when I boot with bind plug.

Thanks
 Tilman