Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Long Range Flying Wing

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Long Range Flying Wing
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 01:46:22 +0300

I get over 25km with 115200 (haven't tried further) and a 8dbi panel antenna without any problems. At 9600 i have gone as much as 40km out and the signal was rock solid both ways so i bet it could
probably go further than that.
One thing to watch for is the airborne antenna, don't use the normal 900Mhz l/4 whip antenna,
use a dipole antenna (l/2) or a J pole.
If you use an antenna that can be rotated (swivel) keep the modem body and the antenna
in a straight line, it makes a big difference.
I use this antenna http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/900MHz-Antenna-Compact-Dipole.html You may also try a V dipole but not made from pcb (pcb antennas have a lot of losses).
I haven't tried 9600bps and joystick control though only at 115200.
As i said i had up link problems at normal mode but when i switched to the polling mode all problems went away, instant response to GCS and joystick commands with no visible latency. Nice plane you got i am sure that it must have almost no drag as it looks really slick.
Chris