Re: [Paparazzi-devel] mikrokopter

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] mikrokopter
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:23:09 +0100

Hi Regius,

We had a BEng student just finish a similar project.
Have you considered a Parrotdrone? Cheap, stable, and you can get it off Amazon. SDK is a PITA to install but works once you have.

The fact that you have Labview involved in the software stack concerns me on many levels. * Labview doesn't run on Linux (at least not properly) which rules out Paparazzi * The first 50% of everything seems really easy, and the last 50% is absolutely impossible or a massive unmaintainable mess * Do you have experience with Labview and serial communications? Have you tried it yet? It's just...it's unholy

Personally I'd use SimpleCV + Python + FreeNect/OpenNI drivers + Parrot Drone & Parrot SDK. Heck, there's a .NET port of the Parrotdrone SDK - you could use the Windows Kinect SDK, which gives you the pose data for free.

You don't need 90% of what most open source quadrotors can do. I presume you want something that stays where you put it and that you can tell to move around. That's something a parrotdrone does very well. If you need to work outdoors, navigate or do anything more complex - it's not such a good choice.

Cheers,
--G