[Paparazzi-devel] Project planning

From: Stuart MacIntosh
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Project planning
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:30:55 +1200

Hello and thank you to everyone who has helped this project become what
it is!

At the moment I'm planning how to best mate my airframe and a paparazzi
system, and I have a few questions.

I'm hoping to fly a blended wing body (Hobbyking ParkJet) and it's a
pretty fast wee thing, although it has a light wing loading and still
glides with a modest stall speed. Does the problem of drift in IMU's
become more apparent with an increase in velocity? (ie; is this thing
going to be too fast?)

Would thermopile-style attitude measurement be more suited to a faster
vehicle, and what are the dis- and advantages to these two attitude
measurement techniques?

Should the IMU be located at the airframe's center-of-gravity?
(experience with race-car datalogging would suggest so) and if it cannot
be; is a correction factor needed?

This is a fun way to learn about control systems, navigation and flight
dynamics!

Cheers,
Stuart.