Re: [Paparazzi-devel] another fatal crash

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] another fatal crash
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:08:47 +0200

There are no known problems of changing gains, settings, flightplan blocks or any changeable item in flight. To make absolutely sure the ground station and airborne code are compatible there is the MD5 check. So unless you explicitly say -no_md5_check it's perfectly safe to change values. Even incorrectly configured radio modems are not known to easily screw up your flight.

On the other hand: uploading bad gains to an airplane WILL make it go out of control. E.g. remove attitude gains and it will not correct anymore, put too high gains and it will oscillate until it crashes. So you must know what you are doing.

We are using several types of modems but for short range (<1.5km) flight we definitely recommend XBee 2.4 Series 1. We use 1 modem in the ground station and can fly many planes (at least more than 5 but never tried more) at the same time. And when the laptop is empty with planes still flying, just open up another laptop to continue getting all the data safely on another machine.

-Christophe