Re: [Paparazzi-devel] another fatal crash

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] another fatal crash
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:10:42 +0200

Hi Eduardo

I highly recommend to change values in flight. To my experience it is
the only way to achieve good control characteristics. I have
successfully tuned many aircraft. You want to immediately see the
behaviour of the aircraft when you change parameters. It will take you
ages to tune all the critical parameters, which are maybe 30 in
number, by always landing for changes.

The only alternative would be to have some real sophisticated aircraft
identification and control optimization method based on the log file.
I am not aware that exists for paparazzi. Or you use adaptive control.
I have never tried that.

As Christophe correctely says, you must know what you are doing. You
must understand the control loops. See:

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Tuning
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Theory_of_Operation
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Control_Loops