Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Spektrum Receiver

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Spektrum Receiver
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:17:16 +0100

On 13/06/12 14:50, Gareth Roberts wrote:
Hi Tilman,

Do you have config snippets perhaps?
I can't quite picture how you did that.

It was a long time ago, before I could get a decent radio :)
I completely misremembered how I did it in the previous email, sorry.

However, looking at a radio file I remembered I did it via messing around with the neutral & max: <channel ctl="6" function="MODE" min="1100" neutral="1500" max="2001" average="1"/> MAN/AUTO2 <channel ctl="6" function="MODE" min="1100" neutral="1250" max="1500" average="1"/> MAN/AUTO1

Please let me know if it still works, it may not have been exactly how I did it but it was along those lines. Also, this was a long time ago (5-6 years). Something may have changed in the code since then.

Huh, thanks for digging this out.
But I'm not sure what it will mean. If you could perhaps help me make sense of it. I suppose it's using different ranges on the same channel. To make sure the switch lies well in the range. But between which modes will it switch? I first understood you mean between MANUAL and AUTO2. But that does not quite seem to be what it will do.

Penny has not dropped yet.

True, I think if I see it crash I rather go in manual and try to glide it down.And the prop is not really a problem in my Bixler as it is at the back and off the ground.

Indeed - I've only ever broken one Bixler prop.
In very high winds, at about 30m, the main spar snapped, the wing came off and the spar flipped back round into the prop.
That Bixler is still flying today with only a replacement spar and prop.
My friend just managed to loose his wings in some high G manoeuvres with his Bixler. Seems to be a bit of a weak point.

If you haven't already, I would definately recommend upgrading the stock prop to an APC 6x4. The improvement is incredible.
Indeed. The whole stock setup is a bit whimsical.
Also, you can get a Turnigy/FlySky 9x transmitter for £60 if you are on a serious budget. Add an FrSky TX module + receiver and you've got out of the box PPM output.

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/flysky-fsth9xb-channel-transmitter-with-module-p-406149.html
Isn't that the one that is identical/compatible to the Turnigy 9x? With alternative firmwares available. Great to have a local source for that. Lead times at HobbyKing are too annoying.

I suppose you added the V8R7-SP receiver to the list because it is compatible and has ppm?
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-conversion-hack-module-p-405206.html
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/frsky-receiver-v8r7sp-p-405458.html

Yea, I'm beginning to think that ppm might be indeed more practical.
I love the digitalness of my Spektrum setup. But it is so far causing me more headache than it helps. I bought this Spektrum transmitter when those chinese brands where not quite so established. At least I had not heard much about them. Cost at least twice as much as a Trunigy and is only five channel.
Don't really feel like spending money on thinks that I already have.
And yes, budget is very tight right now. Would hate to have to wait just