Re: [Paparazzi-devel] mixing, rates and expos in manual

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] mixing, rates and expos in manual
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:42:30 +0100

On 23/06/12 08:39, Reto Büttner wrote:
Hi Tilman

Start out with standard rates and settings. Look in the instructions
of your plane, there will be recommended rudder deflections. Stick to
them. Prefer mechanical deflection adjustment by appropriate servoarm
and rudderarm lengths to electronic rate adjustment. Reducing rates in
the airframe file as you propose can be done, but mechanical
adjustment is better.

I think my settings are good for a really good pilot. I just don't trust myself that much yet.

While trying not to crash it in MANUAL, I like AUTO to have the most possible control.
Or is this not such a good idea?

You can add some expo on your rc transmitter (maybe 20%) on pitch and
roll to make steering a bit easier in manual mode. But your Bixler is
already so good mannered, it can hardly get any easier :-)
My Transmitter only has high and low rates. Too simple for that. :(

If you are new to RC get help of an experienced friend for your first
flight. Prepare yourself mentally by reading some of the innumerable

I had some good flights (and crashes) with a different plane. And I still tend to overcompensate.
With a lot of throw on the servos I think that will even get worse.
But yea, I will be fine. I hope that Bixler does actually fly as forgiving as I hope.

Thanks