Re: [Paparazzi-devel] airspeed_adc with Ardupilot airspeed sensor

From: Hector Garcia de Marina
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] airspeed_adc with Ardupilot airspeed sensor
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:52:46 +0200

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Tilman Baumann <address@hidden> wrote:
Please allow me to take this idea and run with it towards the direction my vivid fantasy has been occupied with recently...

AOA does not seem to be a information that is really used in ppz, except for some interesting experiments.
Instead of mechanical fins, AOA information can be gained by using pressure tubes pointing in different direction. 3D pitod tube in a way. :)

This is not really a trivial task, a FADS system is really complicated. However, AoA is always an important variable and let you
fly in an optimal way (max lift min drag), prevent stall, etc.

About a FADS system you can take a look at the next document: http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE0QFjAA&url="">

Also, digital sensors could be less hassle.
http://uk.farnell.com/ge-sensing/npa-600b-10wd/sensor-smd-10psi-digital-diff/dp/1776504
(Expensive I know. Probably not worth it.)

Agree. There are from Honeywell really nice sensors for dynamic pressure at low speeds, 3.3V, small package, analog or digital interface... but be prepare for spending about 80€.

And to address the terrible wiring situation we probably all have. How about decentralized actor/sensor boards?
I know, the wiring is quite manageable, but your wiring harness still gets messy very quickly if you for example want your wings detachable. (I have the airspeed sensor in the wing. Also servos)
And the latent lack of ADC inputs. At least with Lisa/m.

How about running a CAN link to little sensor/actor boards to where the action is. This way we would never run out of IO and the wiring would be a nice bus. Imagine only having to unplug RJ45 plugs.
Can is message based. We can probably reuse the telemetry format...

As always, depends on the size of your plane :P. But yes, some times, having the magnetometer away from any power source is a challenge, specially when it is mounted with the rest of sensors.

I know I took that ball and threw it way out of the ball park. Especially considering that I still have to do a single successful flight and so many more important problems.
But that wiring and how the plugs are organized on Lisa is a constant annoyance to me. I see a need there.

As for baro board. Static pressure seems to be well solved so far. Or do some autopilot or IMU boards not have one of those tiny ones on board?
For dynamic pressure, yea, we could do something just like the eagletree board. With digital output. I like that.
The eagletree board is too big for me to fit it into the wing.

I do not think it is well solved, employing a sensor which can measure more than 40km of altitude, when most of flights are below 5km, means that
we are wasting a lot of potential information. But it is the price that you have to pay for using digital sensors, you can not fit the analog signal according
to your requirements.

Héctor