Re: [Paparazzi-devel] circular polarized antenna hype

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] circular polarized antenna hype
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:07:39 +0200

Hi Tilman

I get over 15km perfect reception using 2.4 GHz XBee and a 14 dBi
linear polarized patch antenna on the ground station and a standard
whip antenna on the aircraft. Do you need any more?

At long range flight the antennas are parallel (in phase), as the
aircraft will be flying horizontally. You most probably will not be
performing aerobatics at long range. At short range, where you might
want to try some tighter turns, reception is no problem anyway.

Antenna tracking was no issue for me so far. At long range it is no
problem to manually track the antenna as things go very slowly. At
short range you don't need antenna tracking.

Happy landings,
Reto