Re: [Paparazzi-devel] INS Subsystem and rotorcraft navigation

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] INS Subsystem and rotorcraft navigation
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:07:44 +0200

Hi,
to reduce vibration  balancing the propellers and motor rotors may help.
We found that sometimes the motor rotors are the  main source of vibrations.
With motors an propellers out of the box i found vibrations in the rate signals in the
range of 30%  of the measuring  range.
If the system is well balanced the value is in the 5% range.
Adding a low pass filter  (15..50Hz)  to the acceleration signal may also help.
Low pass filtering of the rate  signals below 100Hz  results in instability.

Heinrich

Loic Drumettaz schrieb:
Hi,

I made some test flights using ACCEL_NOISE=20 with HFF. There is no significant  improvement in navigation.
Looking at the logs, the telemetry messages HFF and HFF_DBG can be compared to see the result of the filtering. The curves shows that the filtered positions and speeds are never in advance compared to the measured values (I guess measured values are GPS values).
I suppose that with ACCEL_NOISE=20, the accelerometers are filtered too much in the Kalman. This would mean that I need to reduce vibrations on my quadrotor, in order to be able to use ACCEL_NOISE with lower values?

Another question: Is there any navigation option to set heading to the next waypoint in navigation?  Or to a specified waypoint?
 I noticed the heading navigation mode but only a value of heading can be set, not a waypoint?

Regards
Loïc