[Paparazzi-devel] CAN on Lisa

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] CAN on Lisa
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:13:55 +0100

Hi,

I'm fooling around with can at the moment. A friend and I want to modularize UAV components a bit more.

The easiest and lowest hanging fruit seems to be to just pass telemetry messages on the bus first. (probably inspired by one of the data logging modules) But anyway. I'm not there yet. First I like to play around with CAN raw. I thought the code is now based on libopencm3. But ./sw/airborne/arch/stm32/mcu_periph/can_arch.c is totally different. Eventually I don't care really what I use. But what is it that is being used there and how can I learn about it? Has anyone already used that stuff? I suppose the code is there for a reason? Would it perhaps be a better idea to scrap that and use the libopencm3 functions? Would they work?

And while this is not my concern yet, I would not mind starting some kind of conversation about this before I start hacking. My current idea is basically to just dump ppz format messages on the bus with a prefix to make them filterable. Later additions would be a message type for actuators. (Have not quite grokked if or how I can have multiple Actuators like CAN servos and PWM servos) And then of course telemetry receive via CAN and sensor values receive (remote virtual ADC would be cool). I guess conversation topics could be the message format. I think the ppz format is the easiest way right now. But perhaps there are better ideas.

Grand vision is to have little can modules (NXP Cortex M0 based processor probably) which drive servos, run actuators and read sensor. Connector could be RJ45. This would make wiring much less crazy and planes become more maintainable. Imagine having just one JR45 connector going to each detachable wing and your camera subsystem and what not. Also telemetry could become more flexible, radios could be placed where ever is most convenient.