Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi story: when everything goes bad...

From: Eduardo lavratti
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi story: when everything goes bad...
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:17:27 +0000

Congratulation brother ...

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:52:35 +0200
From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden

Dear all,

I would like to share a Paparazzi story that happened last sunday:

Right after a bungee start of a fast paparazzi fixedwing UAV, starting in manual mode, I just lost the R/C link. Plane banked dangerously hard on the right, then recovered and engaged in failsafe AUTO2 (standby).
To be honest it did take a few very long seconds to understand that I had no control at all on the UAV. Not an usual situation !

The plane was flying fast circles over the place, just above really high trees - I live in mountains, in a rather steep environment.
I switched off the R/C and went to the laptop running the GCS.
Laptop was outdoors, weather was great, really hot. Probably too hot as the laptop just shut down when I approached it  !

Plane was still flying fast circles, R/C was not working anymore, and laptop just died. Wow, what a great situation.

I brought the laptop inside, let it cool down, and after a few tries I managed to boot it again. Went outdoors, connected to the UAV, set the AF/TD, and thought twice before hitting the LAND button.

Plane circled down, approached, and landed successfuly in a very steep place, 10m from the TD point :)

Wow, thumbs up to Paparazzi !!

Mitchell