Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Making it easy for new users

From: Jorn Anke
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Making it easy for new users
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 22:39:29 +0200

I just have gone through the configuration process for the second time, first now with success. I must say I think the wiki/documentation has improved greatly since my last try - about a year ago.

From my experience and perspective, what I think might be useful to new users would be;
1. A step by step guide, with small goals and targets, and with references to the existing wiki pages. Eg.
- establish contact with the board, (usb and wireless),
- get the connected sensors/modules up and running, one by one, (gps, ir/imu, RC rx, etc)
- add servos
- add flight control code, (mine are compiling ok, but I have no clue about their meaning yet).

The idea is to start with very little code in the airframe file, then to add the bits and pieces one by one.

2. Provide a standard header/naming convention for the airframe files and other config files,
It is tedious work to browse through all of them (several times over) searching for useful bits of code.

3. Hmm, I think that was it.

Thanks for a fantastic project, and for your patience with us newbies!

Jorn