Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Temperature compensation of rate sensors

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Temperature compensation of rate sensors
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:24:59 +0100

Hi Chris,
i made the compensation  with the steady sate temperature (42°C) .
But the mutikopter is cooling down when the motors are running  about 8°C.
If i go outside we have temperature of about -5°C. This change the temperature down to 5°C.
I think Openpilot and adreino mutikopter have a temperature compensation.
In the mikrokopter project they go another way.
By a RC-command (Stick top left ) the zero moving value is measured  direct over a few seconds.
This value form  the new offset. Invensense  suggest this procedure.
I found a application note AP-TEMP-00-01 for temperature compensation of the Invensense IDG500
by  measuring the temperature of the dies.
I think this will also work on the mpu600x0.

Regards

Heinrich Warmers

Chris Gough schrieb:
is there a need for temperature compensation of the invensense rate sensors?
By applying a temperature jump of 20°C  i found a  bias error  of  4°/s and
the AHS fails.
Other projects made a temperature  or bias compensation.

Once it warms up, does your temperature/bias remain reasonably constant?

I'm asking because, with another project's autopilot, we found that we
needed a preflight procedure to solve this problem: let the board come
up to temperature for a few minutes then reboot it.

Are you aware of another project's autopilot with a temperature/bias
compensation that actually works?

Chris Gough