[Paparazzi-devel] Flyover and crash due to pressing takeoff before holdi

From: Refik Sever
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Flyover and crash due to pressing takeoff before holding point
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:42:47 +0000

Dear all,

Today, we had a crash. I am sending the logfiles and conf. files in the
attachment.

We power on the autopilot at 512. second and we pushed the takeoff button at
geoinit state before it wrote holding_point (539th sec). Then we had a take off
using auto1. After climb, we switched to auto2. It wrote standby in GCS and the
green circle was put on the map, but the plane turned left directly and went
away. I switched to auto1 and tried to get back the plane but the distance was
too large and we had a crash.  I checked the desired course in the replay, and
it was actually 270deg.

I did a simulation and pushed the takeoff button before it wrote holding point.
It did exactly the same in the simulation. I am using paparazzi version of
4.9_devel-812-g8f341f0-dirty.

I remembered that, I saw this behavior 2-3 months ago in the simulations. But I
thought that there was a problem in the simulation and forgat it.

Is this a bug or is this a planned behavior? I think that we need to put
warnings with bold letters: "Do not press take off before holding point".

Although it was a terrible crash with directly diving to the ground with full
throttle, the damage was not too bad. We fixed the plane and tomorrow we will
continue our flights.

The plane circles perfect, tomorrow we will try other navigation options.

Best regards,
Refi