Re: [Paparazzi-devel] how to select an airframe

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] how to select an airframe
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:57:59 -0600

Thanks to all the people that have responded, this is a great discussion.

> - How heavy is your payload (camera)?
> - How large is your payload (camera)?

We have 3 cameras: a multispectral, a Canon Powershot ELPH 320 and a  DSLR. The first 2 are small and weight is less than 150g. The other one is bigger and could go over 600g.  Primary goal is to use the first 2 and the other one would be bonus or would be served later by a different plane.

> - Do you need vertical view only?

Initially yes but oblique photo would be a bonus (would be done with the heavier camera and perhaps with a different plane).

> - Do you have experience in RC planes?
> - Do you have experience in model gas engines?

I am working with very experienced people in building planes, electric and gas, and flying them manually. I think I would prefer electric.

> - Do you have experience in Paparazzi?

I am working with people experienced in programming (including me) and electronics. We will be investing whatever time it takes to be able to answer yes to this question. We are just starting.
We might use a smaller cheaper plane with no camera for flight testing and learning and then move to the primary plane when we feel confident.

> - Do you have a runway available?

For testing yes. For real work we will be taking photos at multiple locations all over our small country so perhaps a dirt road or a grass field is all we'll find. I would like to know how big is the space needed to takeoff and land and whether designs can be adapted to do shorter landings. We might consider parachutes or nets or whatever.

50 minute flight would be OK.  The Bormatec Maja is advertised with 50 min endurance with 3S/6000mAh and 500W motor with 1,5kg payload inclusive of batteries. As seen on http://conservationdrones.org/hardware/
My plan is to build our own airframe as these are too expensive to buy and we have the guys who can build planes from scratch if necessary. They don't have experience with this kind of application or automated flying, so we are unsure about the design to use.

Thanks again for all the help.

Alonso Acuna

On 23 July 2013 11:02, C?dric Marzer (priv?) <address@hidden> wrote:
> The question about the runway is very relevant indeed as you can achieve a
> long flight duration either by having a relatively high wing load, for
> instance with a 2 m plane with a landing gear packed with batteries

I am curious how long a runway you need - and also if paparazzi
handles landing or whether that's something that has to be done by
hand? (I'm still very much a paparazzi noob!)