Re: [Paparazzi-devel] mailing list vs. forum -> maybe google groups as c

From: Felix Ruess
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 23:52:13 +0200

Hi guys,

I also don't think a forum would work well for us, but that was not the question and from most answers it seems pretty clear that a mailing list is preferred anyway.
Ok, this is of course totally biased as it was already asked on the ml and answered by people how know/like to use it... but anyway: there is no intention to move to a forum.

The question is if we get enough benefit from moving to google groups (importing what we have so far) to justify migrating our current mailing list.
Google groups is still basically a mailing list, but also allows it to be nicely browsed and used via the web interface, gives better search results (at least in my experience).
And you have some features like announcements and sticky posts..

We could also embed a window with the latest posts on the wiki, will look similar to this: http://www.ros.org/wiki/sig/Embedded

IMHO it is also totally irrelevant if the mailing list is hosted by some "spy" system like google. All our posts, etc. are already public anyway and indexed by google (and other search engines)....

If we decide to stay with our current mailing list, adding it to the gmane archive is certainly a good idea.

Where ever the mailing list is hosted (staying with GNU savannah or moving to google groups or ...), another question is if we should create another list e.g. paparazzi-users for - well - user discussions about how to set up airfames, what components to choose, etc.. and use the paparazzi-devel as a lower volume development discussion list.

Cheers, Felix