Re: [Paparazzi-devel] i2c voltage level

From: Refik Sever
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] i2c voltage level
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 01:00:10 +0300

Hi Martin,

I just ordered 5 of them.

Thanks,
Refik

[mailto:address@hidden On
Behalf Of Martin Mueller
>Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:31 AM
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] i2c voltage level
>
>Hi Refik,
>
> I understand that drotek i2c signals are using 3.3v, therefore no problem
for drotek.

> I also want to add SRF08 ultrasonic sensor to the other I2C bus. SRF08
works with 5V, and I2C signals are also at 5V. On the same bus, I also
connected TMP102 temp. sensor and ETS airspeed sensor. They all use 3.3V i2c
signals, and they all get their supply from autopilot.

> I understand from your emails that digital i/o pins of LPC2148/stm32 are
5V compatible, therefore no problem for the autopilot. Will there be a
problem for tmp102 and ets airspeed sensors?

>Yes. Add a 5V <-> 3.3V level shifter for the SRF08, see the TEMOD module
for an example

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Module/Hygrosens_TEMOD-I2C-R1

Martin

> Best regards,
> Refik

power you will destroy the LPC2148.
> The stm32 pins are only 5V compatible if the processor is supplied.
> The maximum level is 4V if there is no power on the processor.
> Heinrich

I2C lines. An on-board linear 5V -> 3.3V regulator is used to have a clean
3.3V supply (see imu-10dof-mpu6050-hmc5883-ms5611.PDF).

>> Are the I2C pins of LPC2148 and STM32 processors compatible with 5V?
>
> The digital LPC2148/STM32 pins are claimed to be 5V tolerant (not the LPC
ADC input pins) but it is good practice not to run them at 5V.