Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Libopencm3 - STM32-F1 change interrupt priority

From: Michal Podhradsky
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Libopencm3 - STM32-F1 change interrupt priority
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:55:08 -0600

Hi Felix,

just a little update.
I tried that trick with increased SYS_TIME_FREQUENCY, but haven't noticed any difference.

I had a suspicion that this jitter was caused mainly by interrupts, so I disabled all uart interrupts (commented out https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/sw/airborne/arch/stm32/mcu_periph/uart_arch.c#L182)

Surprisingly there was no noticeable difference in the jitter, so it won't be that easy.

As far as scheduling goes, the right way imho would be to first look at the data flow diagram and make sure there are only the necessary parts. Second, look at the tasks/events and take care of the possibly problematic parts of the code. Interrupts should have defined priorities (not all at 0). Events should only set flags for periodic tasks, if possible avoid data processing (tasks do that).
Periodic tasks rely on RTC timers, possibly use more timers for finer control and also timeouts (if the task takes too long time).

It won't be much fun, but I ll look into it in the following days.

I don't have much experience with RT systems, so suggestions are gladly welcome.

Since Paparazzi is for flying things, it should be designed with hard RT constraints in mind...

Regards