Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Failsafe values

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Failsafe values
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:40:39 -0600

Hi. Yes I did but it did not help.  That page appears to be talking about failsafe settings on a RC receiver which I do not have and mentions a file RC.xml which I also cannot find.

I understand that the failsafe values on the servos in the airframe file are the positions that will be used if it goes to failsafe mode but I do not understand when exactly this mode is activated and how it can be disabled

It says "In this mode, the autopilot uses the failsafe roll, pitch and throttle settings defined in the airframe file. It is recommended to disable throttle and make a shallow turn at low flight speed. When barometric information is available and compass heading information, it is recommended to disable this safety mode and train the GCS operator to bring the plane home on heading and altitude only.

Do not mix up the <commands> failsafe_value and the <section name="FAILSAFE" prefix="FAILSAFE_"> default values. The first result in fixed servo positions with the plane totally out of control, while the latter still involve the innerloop to stabilize the plane."

So given that I have a Lisa/M should I go for disabling this and trying to use heading and altitude?  If the operator can be trained to fly by heading and altitude why not have the aircraft do it?

And I still do not understand why there are failsafe values in the commands section and in the FAILSAFE section and which if any should I use.

And I do not understand if the strategy is to keep the plane in the air or bring it down softly or something else?

Seems like a complex subject at least for a beginner.