Re: [Paparazzi-devel] problem with ground altitude

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] problem with ground altitude
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 23:33:30 -0600

I have learned a few things tonight:
- in order to not use SRTM data the files in data/srtm need to be deleted. Simply running the gcs without the -strm option is not enough as the data still gets used.
- the ground level as shown in GCS has no relation to ground level as known to the airborne code. To see or change airborne code's ground level add <dl_setting MAX="4000" MIN="0" STEP="1" VAR="ground_alt"/> to conf/settings/fixedwing_basic.xml or similar file you are using.
- there is no warning when the airborne ground level is very different to the SRTM or to GCS ground level. So for example when the aircraft goes into this part of the flight plan:
   <block name="final">
      <exception cond="ground_alt + 10 > GetPosAlt()" deroute="flare"/>
  it will be doing the flare at the wrong altitude.

If several people are telling me that GPS given altitude is not accurate then why is the airborne code ground level set from GPS at the beggining of the flight plan? Why not use the ground_level value from the flight plan?